ENGINE, EXHAUST AND COOLING SYSTEM TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURES - CONTINUED
TEST OR INSPECTION
Engine Cranks, but Will
b. Disconnect fuel lines and check for
1. Clean lines with compressed air and
Not Start - Continued.
3. Go to Test 3.
Inspect fuel lines and connections for
1. If a leak is at a connection, tighten.
leaks, obstructions and damage.
2. If a leak results from cracked, split or
damaged tubing, replace tubing (WP
3. If fuel lines are OK, go to Test 4.
Check fuel injection timing (WP 0273
1. Adjust fuel injection timing (WP 0273
2. Go to Test 5.
Check for slipping fuel injection
If shaft does not rotate, remove small cover
pump drive. Remove small cover from
from timing gear cover and tighten
fuel pump drive. Crank engine and
accessory drive gear retaining nut. If
look to see if shaft rotates.
tightening corrects slipping condition,
time fuel injection pump (WP 0273 00).
Engine Cranks Slowly,
In cold weather, make sure proper
Hard to Start.
2. If problem still exists, go to Test 2.
Check starting/charging circuits.
If starting/charging system OK, go to Test
Refer to Electrical Troubleshooting
Check the ether starting aid. Refer to
Electrical Troubleshooting (WP 0011
Engine Starting Motor
Check for broken or damaged flywheel
Operates, Does Not Engage
teeth or starter drive.
Flywheel Ring Gear.
1. If defective replace starter (WP 0057
inspect starter drive for
2. If starting motor is OK, go to Step b.
b. Manually turn engine and inspect
If defective replace flywheel assembly
flywheel ring gear teeth through
(WP 0261 00).
starting motor opening in flywheel