ENGINE, EXHAUST AND COOLING SYSTEM TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURES - CONTINUED
TEST OR INSPECTION
Engine Misfires or Runs
DO NOT perform fuel system checks, inspections or maintenance while smok-
ing or near fire, flames or sparks. Fuel may ignite, causing damage to machine
and injury or death to personnel.
Hot oil or metal parts can cause severe burns. Wear insulated gloves, long
sleeves and eye protection when working with heated parts. Failure to follow
this warning may cause injury.
Check air cleaner for air restriction.
Inspect air cleaner for restrictions. Clean
air inlet and replace or clean air cleaner
draining fuel into clean glass
container. If container is 1/4 full of
water, or if dirt is evident, fuel is
3. Fill fuel tank with correct grade of clean
fuel (TM 5-3805-248-10).
4. If fuel is not contaminated, go to Test 3.
1. Clean lines with compressed air and
3. Go to Test 4.
Inspect fuel lines and connections for
1. If a leak is at a connection, tighten.
leaks, obstructions and damage.
2. If a leak results from cracked, split or
damaged tubing, replace tubing (WP
3. If lines are OK, go to Test 5.
Check fuel injection lines for air.
1. Bleed air from fuel injection lines by
performing cylinder balance test (WP
2. Go to Test 6.