BATTERY, STARTING AND CHARGING SYSTEM TROUBLESHOOTING
PROCEDURES - CONTINUED
TEST OR INSPECTION
Engine Will Not Crank -
b. Check for loose, broken or worn
1. Tighten any loose terminal or cable (WP
terminals and cables.
2. Replace any terminal or cable that is
Perform Steps c and d for maintainable batteries only.
c. Check electrolyte level in each
1. If needed, fill each cell to fill ring with
battery cell (TM 9-6410-200-10).
2. If level of water is OK, go to Step d.
d. Perform specific gravity test (TM 9-
1. Charge all batteries not meeting
6410-200-14). Batteries must test
requirements and recheck specific
1.240 or greater, temperature
corrected, and each cell in battery
2. If 25-point variation still exists, replace
must test within 25 points of others.
3. If specific gravity is OK, go to Step e.
Touch terminal connections one at a time; never touch both terminals at once.
Be sure not to be grounded to machine when checking. Failure to do so may
cause serious personal injury or death.
e. Attempt to crank engine 15 seconds.
1. Tighten all loose connections at
Place battery disconnect switch in
OFF position (TM 5-3805-248-10)
2. Tighten all ground wires including back
and check battery terminal
of starting motor.
3. Tighten battery positive wire at starter
4. If connections OK, go to Test 2.
Load test batteries.
1. If voltage drops below range
specification in TM 9-6140-200-14,
recharge batteries and repeat Test 2.
2. If problem still exists, replace battery(s)
b. Load test batteries individually (TM
Test starting motor. Go to Malfunction