5P6524 ENGINE TIMING INDICATOR GROUP
1. 3P1565 Collet Clamp. 2. 9S215 Dial Indicator. 3.
5P7266 Adapter. 4. 8S2296 Rod, 5.25 in. (133.4
mm) long. A. 3S8883 Contact Point, .50 In. (12.7
MEASUREMENT OF PISTON TRAVEL
1. 3P1565 Collet Clamp. 2. 9S215 Dial Indicator and
9S8883 Contact Point (A). 3. 5P7266 Adapter.
4.8S2296 Rod, 5.25 in. (133.4 mm) long. 5. Cylinder
head. 6. Inlet port. 7. Piston.
Travel of piston (7), from the point of closing inlet
port (6) to top center, can be found by using the
procedure that follows:
NOTE: The fuel system timing has a tolerance of
NOTE: When reference is made to crankshaft
rotation, the engine is seen from the flywheel end.
1. No. 1 piston
compression-stroke. Make reference to
FINDING TOP CENTER COMPRESSION
POSITION FOR NO. 1 PISTON.
2. Remove timing bolt from front cover.
3. Remove the valve cover from the right side of the
bly, and the fuel injection nozzle for No.
DIAL INDICATOR INSTALLED
2. 9S215 Dial Indicator. 3. 5P7266 Adapter.
4. Put a small amount of clean oil on 8S2296 Rod (4)
and put the rod in 5P7266 Adapter (3).
5. Put adapter (3) in same hole that No. I fuel nozzle
was removed from. Fasten adapter (3) to head
with bolt and spacer from fuel nozzle. 6. Install
3P1565 Collet Clamp (I) in the top of adapter (3).
7. Install 9S8883 Contact Point (A) on 9S215 Dial
Indicator (2) and put indicator (2) in adapter (3)
thru collet (1).
8. Position the dial indicator (up or down) so small
pointer is on "O" (zero) and tighten collet (I).
Do not tighten collet too much or
damage to the dial indicator can
9. Loosen the screw that locks the dial face. Move
the dial face until the large pointer is on
"O" (zero) and tighten the lock screw.
10. Turn the crankshaft a minimum of 45 degrees in
a clockwise direction. Slowly turn the crank-
shaft in a counterclockwise direction until a
maximum reading is seen on the dial indicator.
Adjust the indicator up or down in the collet
until the resolution counter is at + .300 in.
(Black Numbers). Tighten the collet to hold the
indicator in this position. Loosen the bezel lock
and turn the bezel until the zero on the face of
the dial is in alignment with the hand. Tighten
the bezel lock.
11. Slowly turn the crankshaft in a counter
clockwise direction until the dial indicator
moves beyond .020 in. Now turn the crankshaft
the opposite direction until the dial indicator is
at .020 in