12. Install negative (-) terminal (11) and brushes (12)
onto brush holder assembly (7). Put the brushes in
position so that springs (8) are against the side of
the brushes as shown to hold them in place.
13. Put brush holder assembly (7) into position on the
starting motor dowels. Connect field winding leads
(9) to the brush holder.
14. Push the brushes down inside their holders so that
springs (8) are against the back of each brush to
hold them against the commutator. Install the
washer on the armature shaft.
15. If removed, install the bushing into the rear housing
with tooling (B).
16. Install rear housing assembly (5) onto the starting
motor. Install the six bolts and tighten them to a
torque of 4.5 to 6.8 N-m (40 to 60 Ib.in.).
17. Install the washers, nuts and wire assembly on the
negative (-) terminal. Tighten the nuts to a torque of
30.5 ± 3.5 N-m (22 ± 3 Ib.ft.).
18. Put solenoid assembly (1) into position over the
plunger assembly. Install the three bolts and tighten
them to a torque of 14.0 to 21 5 N-m (124 to 190 lb
19. Connect connector (4) to the starting motor
housing field terminal Tighten the bolt to a torque of
9 6 + 1.1 N-m (85 + 10 Ib.in.). Connect the wire
assembly to the ground (G) terminal of the solenoid.
Tighten the nut to a torque of 2.6 + 0.8 N-m (23 + 7
20. Check pinion clearance. See Pinion Clearance
Adjustment in Testing and Adjusting
install starting motor