a) remove valve lifters
b) remove governor and fuel injection pump
*NOTE: The small gear (2) on the front of the camshaft
does not have to be removed to remove the camshaft.
1. Remove thrust pin (1) that holds the camshaft in
place from the rear of the cylinder block.
2. Remove the camshaft from the cylinder block.
Be careful not to cause damage to the camshaft
bearings or journals.
3. If it is necessary to remove gear (2) and gear
assemble) (3) from the camshaft see REMOVE
GOVERNOR AND FUEL INJECTION PUMP
DRIVE to remove gear (2). Use a press to re-
move gear assembly (3) from the camshaft.
1. Install camshaft gear (1) on the camshaft if it was
removed. Heat the gear to a maximum tempera-
ture of 600°F (315°C). Put the gear in position on
the camshaft. Put clean engine oil on the cam-
shaft lobes and journals. Install camshaft (2) and
the gears as a unit. Make sure the timing marks
on the crankshaft gear and camshaft gear are in
2. Install thrust pin (3). Tighten the pin to a torque
of 35 5 lb. ft. (45 7 Nm).
a) install valve lifters
b) install governor and fuel injection pump