CYLINDER HEAD AND VALVE COMPONENTS
5P5170 KNURLING GROUP
1. 5P5178 Lubricant. 2. 5P5187 Tap Wrench. 3.
5P5177 Speed Reducer(7to 1). 4. 5P5176 Brush. 5.
5P5175 Knurling Arbor. 6. 5P5171 Reamer (. 371
in. ). 7. 5P5172 Reamer (. 372 in. ). 8. 5P5173
Reamer (. 373 in. ). 9. 5P5174 Reamer (. 374 in. ).
1. Clean and buff head, guides and valves. Check
valve stem diameter. The intake valve stem
diameter is . 3725 + . 0005 in. (9. 462 + 0. 013
mm) and the minimum size worn is . 3710 (9. 423
mm). The tapered stem exhaust a stem diameter
of . 3715 + . 0005 in. (9. 436 + 0. 013 mm) at the
keeper end of the stem, and . 3705 + . 0005 in. (9.
411 - 0. 013 mm) at the head end of the stem.
The minimum size worn is . 3690 in. (9. 373 mm).
2 Place head on the FTS36 Cqylinder Head Bench or
8S6691 Cylinder Head Stand, ith rocker arm side
NOTE: Use FT967 Adapter Plates to mount head on
FT806 Cylinder Head Bench.
Dill the 5P5176 Brush (4) into the 5P5178
Lubricant (1) and nin the brush through the
NOTE: The 5P5178 Lubricant is specially formulated for
knurling cast iron guides and will prolong arbor life. If
not a, use only Black Sulfur cutting oil or parafin base oil.
4. Dip the 5P5175 Knurling Arbor (5) into the 5P5178
Lubricant just prior to knurling. Use the 5P5177
Speed Reducer (3) and a 1/4 inch electric drill (1200
to 1600 rpm recommended) to drive the arbor.
Hold the speed reducer and drill firmly during
knurling. Do not push or guide arbor during
3. 5P5177 Speed Reducer. 5. 5P5175 Knurling
5. Select the reamer that is closest to the size of the
stem that is to be used and ream the guide using
the speed reducer and 1/4 inch electric drill. Push
firmly to ream.
NOTE: It is not necessary to use lubricant for reaming.
6. Clean the valve guides with brmsh and solvent.
7. Install the valve. It is permissible to use a maximum
force of 6 lbs. (27 N) with no oil to install the valve.
Should valve not fit, use next size larger reamer and
ream as in Step 5.
8. Thoroughly clean the valve guide bores after knurling.