DIFFERENTIAL AND CARRIER ASSEMBLY (LOCK TYPE)
ASSEMBLE DIFFERENTIAL AND CARRIER
ASSEMBLY (LOCK TYPE)
Dial Test Indicator Group
1. Make sure the flange of case (3) and the surface of
gear (4) are clean and free of burrs.
2. Heat gear (4) in oil to a maximum temperature of
250°F (135°C). Install the gear on case (3) with the
mark on the gear in alignment with the mark on the
3. Put oil on the threads of bolts (1) and the face of
washers (2) that hold gear (4) to case (3). Install the
bolts, washers and locks. Tighten all bolts the same
amount until they have a torque of 98 9 lb. ft. ( 134
12 Nm). Bend the tabs of the locks on the bolts.
4. If a new gear and/or cases are to be installed, install
the dowels faith the foIowing procedure:
a) Fasten the gear to the case.
b) Make dowel holes (5) larger with a reamer to a
diameter of .8640 .0005 in. (21.9456 ? 0.0127
c) Install dowels (6) even with the face of the
5. Heat the bearing cone in oil to a maximum
temperature of 275°F (135°C) and install it on case
6. Put oil on the parts of the differential group.
7. Install thrust washer (8) and side gear (7) in case (3)
with the groove in thrust washer (8) next to side gear